Poem: “I spoke with a woman Lastnight”

I was at the bus stop last night,
I turned around and saw an elderly lady sitting,
smiling,
She said, “Come here young one.”
I could see the pain in her eyes,
With regret filling them as she continues with her life.
She started to speak without hesitation,

She said,
“I regret it, I regret it,
I lived my life like I was a fool,
Baby girl, stay focus,
Stay in school,
People will let you down,
Your job will let you down,
But your education and skills will always help you back up.
Don’t follow the crowd,
They will always be there.
Stay focus on your grind, your success is near.”

I remained silent, sometimes it’s the best solution.

Then she said, “I regret it, I regret it,
Baby girl, please go hard in your 20s,
Write that business plan,
Buy that house,
Start a family, so you don’t have to end up being alone.
Respect others, you might need them in the future,
Keep up your appearance,
Your looks do matter.”

The bus came,
I told her goodnight.
I looked through the mirror and saw her fading.
I can’t believe it,
It was a warning,
Not from a stranger,
But from myself,
Being 87 years old, broke and lonely,
With bad health.

Look in a mirror, and analyze yourself,
Do you like the direction your life is heading?
If not, do something about it now.

Advertisements

25 Comments Add yours

1. wwwshenika says:

Deep. And thatโ€™s a long time to live in regret.

Liked by 1 person

1. Exactly, people live reckless. Some think they will die at a young age, but then they actually live for so long in misery and make it hard for everyone else. Well, in my experience

2. jessierenea says:

Very deep and heart felt !! Great Post as always ๐Ÿ’• I hope you have a wonderful day!

1. jessierenea says:

Youโ€™re welcome โค๏ธโค๏ธ

3. I know how to make my own way. I know how to do my own thing. I know how to enjoy my own company. I know how to be grateful for my tiny tribe. I know how to be proud of exactly who God created me to be, whether I do it alone or whether I do it with thousands.

I know that sometimes not belonging is the greatest gift of all. I know that sticking out is sometimes the greatest compliment you could ever be given.

I know that the world wonโ€™t change if Iโ€™m busy blending into the crowds and the cliques or constantly changing myself to earn their cheers. I know that being popular is terribly over-rated. And I know you know that too.

4. Simply B says:

Wow, don’t ever stop writing. This was beautiful and so easy to resonate with.

1. Wow, I really appreciate this comment๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š Thank you so much

5. sarahsarsby says:

An interesting poem which is very easy to relate to. We all want to live a life weโ€™re proud of and donโ€™t regret. As long as we always do what makes us happy, I think looking back and regretting things wonโ€™t happen. Thanks for sharing! x

1. I am definitely doing things I love ๐ŸŒบ๐ŸŒบ๐Ÿ˜

6. sugisays says:

SO powerful. keep writing pieces like these! So so important โค

1. Thank you, I will try my best๐Ÿ˜

7. thebossbabechronicles says:

Loved this piece. It really touched me as I’m sure it has touched many others as well.

1. Thank you, I really hope it do touch others

8. Julie says:

Don’t follow the crowd. They will always be there. So true! We must accept ourselves as the unique, wonderful beings that we are and let our light shine. Thank you for sharing!

Liked by 1 person

1. Thank you for reading๐ŸŒบ๐ŸŒบ yes we should accept ourselves, but sometimes it’s the hardest task for people

1. Julie says:

That is so true!! I am learning to accept myself as I am, and I am in my 50’s!

2. Keep on learning until you can teach others ๐Ÿ’ƒ๐Ÿ’ƒ๐Ÿ’ƒ๐Ÿ’ƒ

3. Julie says:

๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ’•

1. ๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š I love that you love it ๐Ÿ˜

9. I don’t read a lot of poetry but really enjoyed this one. It was so beautifully written. Thank you for sharing it with us ๐Ÿ™‚

1. Wow๐Ÿ˜ณ๐ŸŒบ๐ŸŒบ I’m happy that you like it

10. Alpana says:

You write beautifully. Your poems always have a deep instilling thought behind it. Keep up the good work.

Liked by 1 person

1. This meant so much to me ๐Ÿ’ฏ๐Ÿ’ฏ๐ŸŒบ๐ŸŒบ๐ŸŒŸ๐ŸŒŸ๐ŸŒŸ so thank you for the kind words